How Christchurch residents can request silt removal

( With the Farmy Army, Student Volunteer Army and Christchurch City Council combining from tomorrow to remove silt following the latest earthquake, residents are being advised how to make contact to request assistance.

“Unlike the February earthquake, residents who cannot clear silt from their property to the road by themselves, can either go online or call the council’s call centre to request assistance,” says John Hartnell, Federated Farmers earthquake spokesperson.

“It’s really important people don’t call me direct or the old Farmy Army number from the last earthquake.

“As this is a new response to new earthquakes, people can either go online to or call Christchurch City Council’s call centre on 03 941 8999 or 0800 800 169.

“All requests are being logged onto the same system that the Council, SVA and the Farmy Army will use to allocate jobs. Our combined aim is to ensure that those who need the most help will get it,” Mr Hartnell concluded.

For further information contact:
John Hartnell, Federated Farmers earthquake spokesperson, 021 578 754, 03 349 5590

How to enlist in the Farmy Army and SVA
The rendezvous point for all volunteers is from 7am daily at the Canterbury Park Showground’s operations centre (Curletts Road, Christchurch). The operation will run through to and include Friday 24 June.

If a citizen volunteer, please bring with you a packed lunch, bottled water, gloves and appropriate footwear, like gumboots. A shovel and wheelbarrow will be welcome too.

Media Release on 17 June 2011 from Federated Farmers